Terrace roof

 

They came to make our terrace roof.

I asked him if he can align the pitch of the roof, so it is parallel. So both roofs have same inclination.

He told me: NO!  If I do it like this it is wrong!

People will ask: who made this?! And if you say my name - it will be shame! for me.

This is a traditional a roof.


It has been perfected through generations.


He saw my computer drawing and said: number of wood beams is wrong!! 


I told him: do not worry, it is just to explain how I want it to be done and to get a quote of how much it will cost?


I may have years of computer drawing experience... I can do 3d drawings... but tradition... no... i can not.


I can never draw anything like this in my computer, not in a 100 years. This is generations of perfecting same motif over and over, improving on it gradually.


These are two modes of thinking: modern abstract and traditional.
As modern abstract architects working with computers, we can adopt quickly and respond to all sorts of different requirements. As a traditional builders, they can solve less problems - but those they can: are much more refined.


Traditions win in beauty.


There is no error here, they cut in to millimeters.


They bring everything ready from workshop.


They know how things will fit together.


The Garuda is a unique design for this roof that I chose from examples he had in a workshop.


But pattern on column is the same every time.


Joints are all wooden. No nails are used.


They drill a hole and add a wooden cylinder.


Rope with the stone measures perfect vertical.


Everything fits together perfectly, like a puzzle.


Hole in the middle for a wire for a hanging lamp.


Measuring the height precisely.



They speak Bali language. Anggi does not understand what they are saying.


These are not unskilled workers from remote islands of Indonesia. (like physical workers here typically are) These are masters of craft from Bali. 


Our village, where we live, turns out to be a center of woodcraft for whole Bali. 


It was not planed, we bought our place in a hurry. When I registered my location, they told us there is only 15 other foreigners that are registered in this municipality. This is not a tourist area.


They take great pride of their work.


*

Day 2





Bamboo.






*

Day 3






The owner of the workshop came by to check on the progress.


They bring the the roof ornament.


And the top.

It looks ok, but we asked them if we can choose our own?

*

Day 4


They took us to a shop where they get them (terracota details are done by another village)

https://peter-sovinc-indonesia.blogspot.com/2023/02/terracotta-tiles.html


All sorts of designs to choose from.



When we see the one on the left: yes! this is it.


And here is a matching top.

*

Day 5


The worker was very happy with our choice.


He said: yes! the one before one was too boring.


You chose a real Bali design.


It is very "bagus" (beautiful)... he told me with slightly crazy sparkles in his eyes...


The Garuda...


...reminds me of this video.








*

Day 6
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We bought a house!, Bali

The Spirit Island

Giant closet

Bali flower tiles

Ubud vibes, Bali

Morning walk, Kuwum

Pura Luhur Bhujangga Waisnawa Gunung Sari

Terrace roof